"so I says to Mable..."
 

Casa Latina

January 3, 2011

Carnitas
I went to Casa Latina a while ago, shortly after visiting "Señor Burrito" which left me with a craving for more Mexican food. I had heard of this place before but it was only after a friend went and sent me the picture above that I decided it was time I tried the food for myself.

After sitting down and looking at the menu I realized two things. One, the place was a bit pricey; two, they serve real Mexican food. The menu read like things my mom would suggest for dinner: carnitas, chile relleno, pozole, flautas, milanesa, etc.

There was so much I wanted to try I decided before I even got my food that I would be coming back to try most of the menu. However, for my first time I went with the carnitas and a bucket of coronas. I was there with my roommate so I'm not a drunk.

The carnitas came on a skillet and were served with tortilals, limon, and two salsas. The amount of carnitas you get in an order justifies the price, and you will most certainly be full. The carnitas were well done [although they could of used a little more manteca] and the tortillas were soft warm, and made me happier than food should. As I was eating my food, I was informed that although that unlike the rest of the staff the chef was Mexican.

The one disappointing of Casa Latina was the drink choice, especially after I'd had jamaica at Señor Burrito. They didn't have any aguas frescas, jarritos, or even a lot of Mexican beer. They did have the regular cocktails, margaritas, and the Coronas.

However, my disappointment as the lack of horchata in Casa Latina was short lived as I looked at the dessert  menu. They had flan, and if that wasn't enough they had tres leches cake. We ordered both and shared, mostly due to my insistence that my roommate try tres leches. Both desserts were good, and the tres leches was a pretty big portion.

Casa Latina is now my serious Mexican restaurant and I will definitely be going back, next time probably for the pozole.