"so I says to Mable..."
 

The Internet Says the Darndest Things

July 6, 2011

Recently I've been working through the tutorials over at Google's App Inventor with the hopes that eventually I'll use it to make my own quick Android application [although I still have no idea what that app will be].

The App Inventor is really simple to use and in some ways reminds me of MIT's Scratch program due to it's use of puzzle pieces to make programming easier.

When I first heard about App Inventor I thought it could only be used to create pretty simple formulaic applications, much like Google Sites, however as I continued through the tutorials I discovered that you can create some very dynamic and complex applications using their tool suite. App Inventor even allows you to create applications that interact with an online database.

And that's where it gets fun, or at least funny. For the purpose of the tutorials Google created a web DB for use by everyone, that means that anyone can add information to this DB, presumably doing so when the tutorials call for it. However, it being the Internet more than just "hello world" was submitted. Here are some of my favorites:

key: yourcousinstwiceremovedmomma
value: SAD SAD MONKEY TINKERING WITH INTERWEBS
Someone needs to learn that just adding "momma" to something doesn't make it a "your mother" joke.

key: words
value: sex
What does it say about me when my biggest problem with this is that he shouldn't have used a plural if he was only going to write one word?

key:  steven
value: I am not hard but you can make me
Wow, just wow. 

key: white
value: poop
I'm kind of hoping that "white" is a name because otherwise this person should see a doctor. 

key: testnotetw
value: Not now have a headache
Me too buddy, me too.

Now the first time in the tutorial you have to use this DB is when you write a short quiz making application. These are some of the quizes that were made:

questions: "name","age","land","country","alias","girlfriend","job","daddy","power 1","power 2","power 3"
answers: "superman","133","iceberg","north-pole","charles","lois lane","newspaper","jor-l","flying","laser eye","can break any material"
Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Superman's alias Clark? 

questions:  "Is Rose beautiful? ","Is Jim nice?","Is Jack black?","Is Stella sweet?","Does it rain in southern California?","Is our house grey?","Am I cool?"
This didn't have answers, which is a shame because I really wanted to know if Jack was black.  

questions: "Who is the Savior?","Who is the Dragon?","Favorite Food","Who is the Savior?"
answers: "Jesus Christ","Satan","Shabu Shabu","Jesus Christ"
Halfway through they forgot who the savior was 

That's only a tiny sample of the 1000 entries which are on the test DB, so until next time I'll leave you with one last pondering from the DB:

questions: "how old am I?","what is my favorite Pokemon? "
answers: "18","ditto "