"so I says to Mable..."
 

MG RX-0 Unicorn

December 17, 2010

So, after finally finishing Fallout: New Vegas I had a chance to build the Gundam that I bought at the Anime Festival in Singapore. I spent a good chunk of my time at the festival at the Ban Dai booth trying to decine which one [I limited myself to one] model I was going to buy. I decided to stick with the Master Grade models since I still don't have an airbrush [yet] to make the Perfect Grade models worth the investment and a High Grade model feels like a downgrade.

After weighing all my options I decided to go with the RX-0 Unicorn because the box showed that it could pull off some sort of transformation and I figured it'd be like buying two gundams or at least one and a half so it'd be the best value for money.

Instruction Booklet
The build was pretty straight forward. It didn't have any extra parts other than the plastic, no string or screws or anything like that. The plastic came in more than two colors, including semi-transparent pink which the manual referred to as the "psycho frame".

Selection of Parts
The build took a bit longer than the others, mainly because  of the detailing. As I build a model I like to do the lining on the individual parts because it's easier to do than once the model is completed. However because the RX-0 transforms I wasn't too sure which parts needed to be lined and which did not.

Just Starting
In the end, I was fairly happy with the finished product. The one downside was that a lot of the lining I did do ended up rubbing off on my fingers as I was transforming it from one mode to another. I still have to get better at applying the decals because there's a couple of them that aren't straight.

Unicorn Mode
In order to transform the model from one model to another you need to remove the legs and head, this means that these parts where made to be removed and attached frequently. As a result the model doesn't feel as sturdy as the other ones, especially the legs. It's very hard to stand it up straight as it tends to sag to one side.

Destroy Mode
With all the models I've built [and the ones I will build] I think it might be time that I start watching the series or at least one of the movies.

My Desk is Getting Crowded