"so I says to Mable..."
 

Señor Burrito

December 20, 2010

My weekly hangout spot and go-to Mexican restaurant Señor Taco recently launched a brother store, Señor Burrito. Lack of naming creativity aside, I decided to give it a try during lunchtime since it's not far away from work.

The first challenge was finding the place, it's in the basement of Raffles City Mall, and I knew it was in the basement but since it's only a stall [there's no dining area] it was kind of hard to find. Undeterred, I walked around aimlessly until I gave in and looked at the directory, which had no mention of the place. Luckily a quick google search revealed the location.

The store front is pretty simple, and reminds you of a Subway store or for me "Felipe's" back in Boston. The serve two main dishes, burritos and nachos as well as drinks, and other small things. I went with the meal combo which is a choice of burrito/nachos and chips/drink. I decided on burrito and drink and was left wondering whether anyone would ever choose the chips. The two choices of drink are frozen margarita and sangria. Sangria, for the first time in Singapore I had found an agua fresca.

The Combo
After selecting your course you are given a choice of "filling" which again is very much like a Subway order, you can choose between chicken, steak, and ground beef. Then after you choose the filling you have a choice of lettuce, onion, sour cream, hot sauce, avoacado, etc. Each burrito comes with mexican rice and refried beans.

I finished up my order and took my meal to my desk where I could evaluate it in peace. One thing that stood out while they made my burrito was the small amount of beans and rice that you get. After the girl making my burrito had applied the beans I could still see the tortilla, which isn't right at all but I tried to ignore that as I took my first bite.

Steak Burrito
Compared to other food I've had in Singapore, this burrito was a solid 9/10 and compared to burritos in general it's still a respectable 8/10. The steak was tender and flavorful, the salsas [chipotle and jalapeño] are just the right amount of spicy, not so mild that they're glorified spreads but not spicy enough that you have to run your tongue under cold water. The $2 addition of avocado, although a bit steep, was a crucial move to make. In fact the only thing that was missing in this burrito was the thing I noticed while they were making it, not enough beans. I'm not sure whether they were good or bad, salty or bland because there wasn't enough of them in there, and while there shouldn't be so much beans in a burrito that they overpower everything else, you should still be able to notice them, even if just slightly.

They Make Sangria in Singapore?
Then there was the sangria, which by existing had already thrown my expectations out the window. After tasting it, I was torn between drinking it all in one gulp because it's good, or drinking it sip by sip so it would last me the whole day because... well because it's good. Either they're making it the good ol' fashioned way or they have their hands on some really good mix. Not too sweet, not too bitter and as refreshing as I remember it being straight from our fridge. Singapore, in it's perpetual heat and humidity needs Sangria.

Overall the food at Señor Burrito is good but a pit pricey. I paid $12.50 for my burrito and sangria combo which to me is about $2.50 too much. That aside, the portions are filling, the service is pretty fast and the food was fresh. I will definitely be going back and I doubt I'll ever deviate from my steak burrito and sangria. Now, if I could just convince the owner to start making horchata.